Saturday, November 05, 2016

Mrs. Marshall's Friday Freedom

In the past few years (since we've had iPads), I've let the kids have free iPad time for at least part of a class period on Fridays if all work is done. One thing I've noticed since that first year when everyone would be glued to their iPad screens as soon as I gave the okay for Friday Freedom to begin is that not everyone goes directly to their device. Those who like to read immediately get out their library book and read. (These are the ones you know for sure have all their AR, i.e. accelerated reader points. Some ask to write on the whiteboard in the front of the room to play hangman or Pictionary —I always keep my homemade Pictionary cards handy in case. Some have even asked me to teach them to knit or crochet. (They have seen me do that before school when I have hall duty or early morning cafeteria duty.) I guess my whole point in this entry is that every new gadget, technology advance or trend will run its course. Some become a part of every day life and some become history. So when someone laments that, "Kids these days don't know how to enjoy free time without electronics." I'm here to testify that yes they do and they get pretty excited about it too.

No comments: